Terms and Conditions
Please read these Official Rules before entering The Literary Blockbuster Challenge. Entrants are referred to in these rules as "you." The "Sponsor" of The Literary Blockbuster Challenge is Inkubate, LLC. By submitting an Entry to The Literary Blockbuster Challenge, you acknowledge that you are eligible to enter The Literary Blockbuster Challenge and have read and agree to be bound by these Official Rules and our and the judges' decisions.
1. Eligibility Requirements. You are eligible to enter The Literary Blockbuster Challenge if you are at least 18 years old at time of entry. You must be of legal majority in the jurisdiction in which you reside and all submissions must be in the English language.
You are not eligible to enter The Literary Blockbuster Challenge if you are an employee or independent contractor of Inkubate; a family member (e.g. spouse, domestic partner, parent, grandparent, sibling, child, or grandchild) of or a person living in the same household as an employee or independent contractor of Inkubate; or a judge (first level or finalist) involved in The Literary Blockbuster Challenge.
2. Registration Process. Entrants register by completing a profile on the Inkubate website and submitting at least one literary work (the "Entry") to Inkubate. Entries must be uploaded to the Inkubate website and tagged for The Literary Blockbuster Challenge by March 31, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. (U.S. Eastern Standard Time). You may submit up to three (3) Entries to The Literary Blockbuster Challenge. (You may upload additional works to the Inkubate website for review by agents and publishers separate and apart from The Literary Blockbuster Challenge, but only novels are eligible for The Literary Blockbuster Challenge.) This is the only method by which you may register and submit Entries to The Literary Blockbuster Challenge. Any submission received in any other form or manner will not be acknowledged, will not be deemed an Entry, and will not be returned.
4. Entrant Representations and Warranties. By submitting your work to The Literary Blockbuster Challenge you represent and warrant that your Entry is original with you and does not infringe on the intellectual property rights of any third party. You further represent that your Entry is not defamatory, libelous, or otherwise illegal; is your sole and exclusive property; and that you have complete, worldwide distribution rights in and to your Entry. You acknowledge and understand that the material you are submitting may be similar to, or competitive with material that has or may come to Inkubate from other sources. You understand and agree that you shall not be entitled to any compensation because of any use of such other similar material and release Inkubate and all its employees, agents, judges, readers, assigns and principals from any such claims you may have including, but not limited to, copyright and breach of confidentiality.
5. Grant of Rights. You retain ownership of all rights to your submitted Entry at all times. By submitting an Entry, though, you grant Inkubate a non- exclusive, royalty-free, license to use, reproduce, distribute, and display the Manuscript for purposes related to the Literary Blockbuster Challenge. This license is necessary so Inkubate may share your Entry with Inkubate's employees, agents, judges, and readers affiliated with the Literary Blockbuster Challenge. Your Entry will not be displayed publicly. If you are selected as a potential Finalist, you also grant Inkubate permission to use, without charge, limited portions of your Entry along with your name, for any purpose in connection with The Literary Blockbuster Challenge until March 31, 2014.
6. Duty to Notify. If an Entry becomes the subject of a publishing agreement after submission to and before the conclusion of The Literary Blockbuster Challenge on July 31, 2013, you agree to notify the other parties to the publishing agreement that the Entry has been submitted to The Literary Blockbuster Challenge. Notification is necessary to ensure Inkubate's continued right to use the manuscript in the manner described in Paragraph 5 above.
7. Collection/Use of Personal Information. Inkubate requests personal information from Entrants in order to process Entries. By entering The Literary Blockbuster Challenge, you agree that Inkubate may share your information, in its sole discretion, with third parties that have a need to know the information, such as the judging panel or third parties retained by Inkubate to assist in administering The Literary Blockbuster Challenge; however, those third parties may only use the information for purposes related to The Literary Blockbuster Challenge.
8. Judging Process. The submission period for The Literary Blockbuster Challenge begins June 15, 2012 at 12:01 a.m. (U.S. Eastern Standard Time) and ends March 31, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. (U.S. Eastern Standard Time). A "Long List" of up to 35 finalists will be selected by a preliminary jury of professionals from the academic and/or publishing industries and announced by Inkubate on or about May 31, 2013. The Entries comprising the "Long List" will then be submitted to a panel of five (5) judges. Winners will be announced by Inkubate on or about July 31, 2013.
9. Prizes. The following prizes will be available to be awarded:
10. Finalist Notification and Requirements. If you are selected as a potential Finalist, Inkubate will notify you by email on or about May 31, 2013. You will be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and a Liability/Publicity Release & Nondisclosure Agreement (“Affidavit and Release”) by June 7, 2013. If you do not return the required documents to Inkubate by the specified dates, you may be disqualified from The Literary Blockbuster Challenge.
Inkubate will notify prize winners of all prizes by email on or about July 31, 2013. Prior to awarding a prize, you may be required to sign additional documents if such additional documents are necessary to confirm your eligibility, to obtain a liability and publicity release, and to award any prize. If you do not return such additional documents to Inkubate, your prize will be forfeited.
It is your responsibility to maintain a valid, working email address. Inkubate and The Literary Blockbuster Challenge are not responsible for consequences or loss associated with the failure of your email address or email provider.
11. Additional Terms.
12. Limitations of Liability. THE RELEASED PARTIES ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE UNAUTHORIZED USE OF ANY ENTRY (OR ANY PORTION OF ANY ENTRY) BY ANY THIRD PARTY. YOU AGREE (FOR YOURSELF AND YOUR HEIRS) THAT THE RELEASED PARTIES, TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LIABILITY, LOSS, INJURY, OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY OR TO PERSON. YOU ALSO AGREE THAT THE RELEASED PARTIES ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY REASONABLE ATTORNEY FEES AND COURT COSTS DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY RELATED TO YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THE LITERARY BLOCKBUSTER CHALLENGE, OR BY REASON OF YOUR ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, USE OR MISUSE OF THE PRIZES (INCLUDING ANY TRAVEL OR ACTIVITY RELATED TO A PRIZE). NOTHING IN THESE OFFICIAL RULES WILL LIMIT ANY RELEASED PARTY’S LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY CAUSED BY THAT PARTY'S NEGLIGENCE, A BREACH OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES, OR FRAUDULENT MISREPRESENTATION.
13. Governing Law/Disputes. This Contest is governed by the laws of the United States and the State of New Hampshire. As a condition of participating in The Literary Blockbuster Challenge, you agree, to the extent permitted by law, that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with The Literary Blockbuster Challenge, will be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in Rockingham County, New Hampshire. FURTHER, IN ANY DISPUTE, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL YOU BE PERMITTED TO OBTAIN AWARDS FOR, AND YOU HEREBY WAIVE ALL RIGHTS TO CLAIM, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING ATTORNEY FEES, OTHER THAN YOUR ACTUAL OUT-OF-POCKET EXPENSES (E.G. COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH ENTERING THE LITERARY BLOCKBUSTER CHALLENGE). YOU FURTHER WAIVE ALL RIGHTS TO HAVE DAMAGES MULTIPLIED OR INCREASED.
14. Rights of Publicity. By participating in The Literary Blockbuster Challenge, you consent to the worldwide use of your name, biographical information, photographs, videos or likenesses in any manner and in any medium now in existence or later invented for any purpose in connection with The Literary Blockbuster Challenge without additional compensation, notification or permission, except where prohibited by law.
15. Prize Winner List. You may request a list of the Finalists and the Winner by sending an e-mail request to mailto:contestresults@Inkubate.com. We must receive your request by August 31, 2013.
16. Sponsor Address. Inkubate, LLC, 75 New Hampshire Avenue, Suite 100, Portsmouth, NH 03801.